Hi, I’m Jacob. I’m a data science intern at Microsoft Search, Assistant and Intelligence. This summer, I’ll be graduating from the honors computer science program at Carleton University in Ottawa, Canada, where I worked with my wonderful supervisor Professor Majid Komeili and TA’d for courses like Introduction to Web Development and Storytelling with Data.
In the fall, I’ll be starting my MSc. in Machine Learning at MILA with Professor Reihaneh Rabbany.
What I’m Up To
- Socially distancing
- I’m involved in research at my school and independently.
- I’m currently writing my senior thesis.
- I also work on information retrieval and applications of machine learning to sports (primarily NBA/MLB).
- March 13, 2020: I got engaged!
- August 16, 2019: My work, Trouble with the Curve: Predicting Future MLB Players Using Scouting Reports, was accepted to the 2019 Carnegie Mellon Sports Analytics Conference!
- Update 10/2019: I’ll be presenting a 15-minute talk as a finalist in the reproducible research competition!
- July 26, 2019: I completed my second internship at Microsoft (MSAI).
- My work used deep learning to extract meeting suggestions from Outlook emails, and extended this to develop a classification model for multi-turn conversations. This was part of a larger project, for which a patent is pending.
- I’ll be returning as a data scientist intern next summer!