Hi, I’m Jacob. I’m an incoming Master’s student in Machine Learning at MILA and data science intern at Microsoft Search, Assistant and Intelligence. This summer, I’ll be graduating from the honors computer science program at Carleton University in Ottawa, Canada, where I worked with my wonderful supervisor Professor Majid Komeili and TA’d for courses like Introduction to Web Development and Storytelling with Data.
I’ll be starting my MSc. in the fall (online, for now!) with Professor Reihaneh Rabbany.
What I’m Up To
- Socially distancing
- Extending my senior thesis (code+paper coming soon).
- I also work on information retrieval and applications of machine learning to sports (primarily NBA/MLB).
- June 1, 2020: Started a data science internship at Microsoft.
- May 12, 2020: Here are the results of my graduate school applications as well as some supporting materials, for anyone who feels unsure about the process like I did. (repo)
- March 13, 2020: I got engaged!
- August: My work, Trouble with the Curve: Predicting Future MLB Players Using Scouting Reports, was a finalist in the reproducible research competition at the the 2019 Carnegie Mellon Sports Analytics Conference.
- July: I completed my second internship at Microsoft (MSAI), using deep learning to extract meeting suggestions from Outlook emails.This was part of a larger project, for which a patent is pending.