Hi, I’m Jacob. I’m a master’s student in Machine Learning at MILA and data science intern at MSAI. My research focuses on the intersection of natural language processing and network science as part of the Complex Data Lab, where I’m supervised by Professor Reihaneh Rabbany.
I completed my undergraduate studies in the honors computer science program at Carleton University in Ottawa, Canada, where I worked with the wonderful Professor Majid Komeili and TA’d for courses like Introduction to Web Development and Storytelling with Data.
- Information retrieval (End-to-end neural ranking models, personalization)
- NLP (Efficient language models, metric learning)
- Network science (Heterogenous GNNs, graph embedding)
- September 3, 2020: I wrote a tutorial on document ranking with AllenNLP.
- June 1, 2020: Started a data science internship at Microsoft.
- May 12, 2020: Here are the results of my graduate school applications as well as some supporting materials, for anyone who feels unsure about the process like I did. (repo)
- March 13, 2020: I got engaged!
- August: My work, Trouble with the Curve: Predicting Future MLB Players Using Scouting Reports, was a finalist in the reproducible research competition at the the 2019 Carnegie Mellon Sports Analytics Conference.
- July: I completed my second internship at Microsoft (MSAI), using deep learning to extract meeting suggestions from Outlook emails.This was part of a larger project, for which a patent is pending.